Ansley Park is s an affluent residential neighborhood in Atlanta, Georgia, located just east of Midtown and west of Piedmont Park. Ansley Park, an early 20th-century suburban residential district was developed in four phases between 1904 and 1913. This historic district was the dream of Edwin P. Ansley who, along with several prominent Atlanta businessmen of the time, purchased a large plot of land north of the city from longtime owner George Washington Collier. Ansley envisioned a new motorcar-oriented suburb of wide, winding streets and green parks designed to attract Atlanta’s wealthiest and most prestigious families.
Ansley Park is located north of downtown Atlanta and west of Piedmont Park, between Piedmont Avenue and Peachtree Street. Completed by 1930, the neighborhood encompasses approximately 275 acres and includes single-family residences, apartments, and a church. It features a curvilinear arrangement of streets, numerous parks, and a wide range of eclectic and period architectural styles. Streets in the district are landscaped on either side like parkways. Carefully aligned curbs, smooth lawns, shrubs and trees border the streets through the Park. This streetscape blends with the landscaping of adjoining lots to create the appearance of a vast public park. The principal parks of the district are Winn Park and McClatchy Park. Both wind their ways through major parts of the suburb so that no residential lot is more than a 10-minute walk away. The Ansley Park golf course is situated along the banks of Clear Creek within the neighborhood.
Ansley Park was home to Georgia’s Governors Mansion for many decades. Diverse in style and scale, the houses in the district represent a full range of eclectic and contemporary suburban architecture. These styles include Colonial, Federal, Neo-Classical, Italian Renaissance, Queen Anne, and Tudor styles, as well as Prairie School and Craftsmen bungalows. As for scale, houses range from one-story cottages to two-story houses to three-story mansions and larger apartment buildings. The single exception to the residential architecture is the First Church of Christ Scientist building at the corner of Peachtree and Fifteenth streets. Built in 1913, the church is a centrally planned Neo-Classical building with a pedimented Corinthian portico. Today, Ansley Park continues to be a middle- to upper-class neighborhood in Midtown Atlanta.
The Ansley Park Historic District is located in mid-town Atlanta and west of Piedmont Park, between Piedmont Ave. and Peachtree St. The houses in the district are private residences and are not open to the public, but there is more information and a virtual tour available through the Ansley Park Civic Association. Guided walking tours are also offered by The Atlanta Preservation Center.
Ansley Park website: http://www.ansleypark.org/View properties in Ansley Park